Satyricon (1969) was one of the few adaptations helmed by Fellini during his career, based on the fragmented novel of the same title by Petronius. Described as one of “the most profoundly controversial movie in all history”, the story tells the picaresque journey of a former gladiator, who is in search of his boy lover.
Nino Rota composed one of his most unusual scores for the film, evoking barbaric rhythms and ancient-sounding instruments to underscore the colorful visual cacophony of the film.
Although the score had been released previously on CD those issue were produced from LPs sources, whereas this CD has been mastered from the first generation stereo master tapes, recently discovered in the vaults of EMI Italy.
Painting cover By Lola Airaghi ( Sergio Bonelli Editore )
01. TEATRINO DI VERNACCHIO (Vernacchio's small Theater)
02. IL GIARDINO DELLE DELIZIE (Garden of Delights)
03. NOTTURNI NELLA SUBURRA (Nocturnes in the Suburra)
04. LA SCHIAVETTA INNAMORATA (The Little Slave Girl in Love)
05. LA CENA DA TRIMALCIONE (Trimalcione's Dinner pt 1)
06. MADEJA' - PERIMADEJA' (Madejà - Periamdejà)
07. MIO AMATO GITONE (My Beloved Giton)
08. LA CENA DA TRIMALCIONE (Trimalcione's Dinner pt 2)
09. TEMA DI GITONE (Giton's Theme)
10. IL TRIONFO DEL NUOVO CESARE (New Caesar's Triumph)
11. ENCOLPIO E ASCILTO PRIGIONIERI (Encolpio and Ascilto, Prisoners)
12. SULLA NAVE DI LICA (on Lica's Boat)
13. LE NOZZE SUL MARE (Wedding at Sea)
14. IL FUOCO DELLE VESTALI (Vestal's Fire)
15. L'ORACOLO SALMODIANTE (The Psalmodist Oracle)
16. MI ASCOLTI GITONE? (Do you listen to me Giton?)
17. STORIA DELLA MATRONA DI EFESO (Story of the Ephesus Matron)
18. ENCOLPIO HA PERDUTO LA SUA SPADA (Encolpio lost his sword)
19. IL MINOTAURO (The Minotaur)
20. LA NUOVA ISOLA (The New Island)